Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tips on how to ...detatch yourself from your work

Today's Truth -- It is Your Life -- Choose how you want to spend it

In talking with my friends and clients, the topic of long work hours comes up often.  Many seem resigned to it and a few fight it a bit and end up right back on that frantic treadmill.  It is a huge dilemma for all of us.  The age we are in is results-driven.  It is a truth across all industries. 

I have asked people for their the motivation to continue putting in those long hours.  The majority response?  "If I don't produce, I won't keep my job."  Similarly, "If I can't get everything done, they will find someone who will."; There are a lot of people out there -- with more education and even younger than I am -- who need jobs and would work for less." 

I think part of the problem happens when we become our job -- that is, we confuse our identity of who we are with what we do. I can tell you fear runs that game.

About 72% of respondents in a recent Human Resources Management study said exhaustion was the most significant indicator of too much work, stress, lack of work/life balance, time away from the family and working too many hours.

So in my little group -- how do they cope?  It was interesting...about 45% take a sick day.  "Me" time involved vacations days, drinks out with friends and moving along the workload, i.e. delegation.

What do we do?  I found a very good article by Gill Corkindale on HBR.  Her information is excellent and she offers a solid perspective.  I know, it is another coping article, but I am hopeful you take it to heart and find parts of it you can use.

Life is so much more than a job.  And, the amazing thing...when you get the balance right for you...work isn't so much like work anymore.

Cheers!
DCR 

2 comments:

  1. Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

    Have a look at my web page ... akribos xxiv for women

    ReplyDelete

I am interested in your comments!